Hope you all had a wonderful and a fantastic weekend. Today i am here to attenuate again on one of my most cherished past experience. This is one of those recipe where i have seen my father taking a lot of interest while cooking it at the house backyard and using his authentic culinary skills on the same.
This dish is known as Litti Chokha. Litti is a dough ball made up of whole wheat flour and stuffed with Sattu (roasted chickpea flour) mixed with herbs and spices and then roasted over coal/ dung cakes or wood then it is tossed with lots of ghee- This lots means Literally Loadssssssssssssssssss…. 🙂
Chokha is nothing but very similar to one of the most famous dish of India – ” Baigan Bharta” and is coupled along with Litti. This dish can often be confused with another famous Rajasthani cuisine called ” Baati” but trust me both the dishes are entirely different from each other. Litti Chokha is very popular in the Indian states of Bihar, Jharkhand and some parts of Uttar Pradesh.
The sattu powder used to make litti has amazing cooling properties and keeps you energized throughout the day. Chokha is made with eggplant which is a brilliant source of dietary fiber, vitamins, manganese, folate and phytonutrients like nasunin and chlorogenic acid that act as antioxidants.
In this growing era of heath consciousness, people try to avoid fried and junk food. So, today i will be easing it a bit for everyone and will share the healthy and improvised version of Litti Chokha.
Preparation Time : 45 mins, Cooking Time : 60 minutes, Calories : 82 calories per piece of litti + 150 calories from Chokha, Servings : 4-5
- Whole wheat Flour kneaded into a soft dough
- Sattu a.k.a Roasted Chickpea Flour
- Onions Finely chopped – 1 medium.
- Ginger and Garlic finely chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Carom seeds – 1/2 tablespoon.
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tablespoon.
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Curd – 2 tablespoons
- Eno – pinch of it.
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Pickle Masala – 2 tablespoon.
- Mustard oil – 2 tablespoon.
- Roasted Eggplant – 1 large
- Boiled potatoes – 2 large
- Roasted Tomatoes – 2 large
- Turmeric Powder -1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Sabzi Masala powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tablespoon.
- Chopped coriander leaves.
- Apply little mustard oil on Eggplant and Tomatoes and place it for griddle roasting it an oven for about 20 mins on 260 degree C.
- For making the Litti Stuffing – Mix 5 large tablespoons of Sattu with chopped onion, ginger, green chillies,mustard oil, salt, Red chilli pickle Masala , coriander leaves. Sprinkle little water to make an even stuffing.It should be mixed in such a way that it is not too dry or too wet.
- For Making the dough, Take Whole wheat flour in a large bowl. Add the curd, eno powder, Salt, Carom seeds, and 1 tablespoon ghee. Keep Adding water to the mixture and knead it to make it a soft dough. Cover the dough and keep it aside.
- Now make medium sized balls from the dough and roll it using a rolling pin into 5-6 inches circle.
- Place 3 tablespoons of Sattu Stuffing in the center.
- Join the edges of the dough and press it with your hand palm to get round shape out of it.
- Similarly, make about 10-15 litti rolls of the same kind.
- Now, place them all in a plate and grease them with little ghee.
- Pre heat the Air Fryer for 5 mins at 400 Degrees F.
- Place the Littis in Airfryer and cook it for 15 mins at 360 degrees F.
- After 15 mins, open the lid of airfryer and you will see one side is evenly cooked and has turned golden brown.
- Flip the side of the litti and cook it again for 15 mins at 360 degrees F. The litti is now ready to serve.
- In a pan add 2 tablespoon of mustard oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add 1/2 tablespoon of cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Add chopped green chilies and Chopped garlic ( 4-5 pods) to the oil. Fry it for a minute.
- Add Chopped onions to the oil and add salt and turmeric powder to the same. Fry the onions until it is golden brown.
- Now, take out the roasted eggplant and tomatoes from the oven. Peel off the outer covering, and mash both of them in one bowl.
- Add the eggplant and tomato mixture with the fried onions.
- Add all the dry ingredients to this mixture – coriander powder, red chilli powder,sabzi masala powder and garam masala powder.
- Fry the mixture until the oil starts to get released from the side.
- Now, add 2 large boiled potatoes ( cover should be peeled off) to the mixture and cook for another 10 -15 mins. Add little water if needed.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves. Chokha is now ready to serve.
This is the overall recipe of the healthy form of litti chokha. I tried the same at home and it turned out really well. Litti Chokha can also be paired with ” Chicken Curry” or ” Lamb Curry” . Both these curries make the litti more tastier and lively. I will also share the recipe of Chicken and Lamb curry in my upcoming blogs. So, stay tuned.
Please do try this recipe at home and if you like my recipe or for any suggestions, do let me know in the comments section below.
Bon Appetite !!!! Lets Dig In !