Salut Everyone !!!!
Monday is back again and so is our busy schedule. Here I am on my blog posting a recipe which is one of my all time favorite since I was very young. This is one of the dish which amalgamates in different flavor in different parts of India. Every state has its own way of preparing this recipe. Yes, you got it right, It is none other than Kadhi Pakoda.
Kadhi is a thick gravy based on chickpea flour and contains vegetable fritters called pakodas to which yogurt is added to give it a bit of sour taste. It is often eaten with boiled rice or chapatis. The recipe which I will be sharing today is from my Mother and is purely northern relish.
Kadhi in Rajasthan and Gujarat is different from what is eaten in northern India as they add little bit of jaggery ( to make it little sweet ) and also mix buttermilk to make the mixture more smooth and flush. In Maharastra, Kadhi is often made with kokum and raw mango. In Haryana, Kadhi is mixed with Green Peas which gives it a really nice crunch. Coming to the south India, they use lot of Mustard seeds and very little chickpea flour. Also, they do add a lot of tomatoes to make the batter tangy.
I have myself tried all the above variations and I will be sharing my favorite version below. Loaded with vitamins & minerals, kadhi is perfect for improving body functions & growth. It is primarily rich in protein, calcium & phosphorus. It is really good for healthy skin and hair. It is highly recommended by doctors for the pregnant ladies because of its Vitamin B6 content.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes, Cooking Time : 45 minutes, Calories : 178 calories, Servings : 4-5
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable/olive oil/ghee.
- 2-3 pods of Garlic
- 2 finely chopped onions.
- 1 diced potato ( optional )
- Chick Pea flour – 3 big tablespoons.
- Yogurt – 6 big tablespoons.
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- 2 tablespoons of Garam Masala powder
- 1 tablespoon Dry Mango Powder
- Water as needed
- pinch of asafoetida
- 4-5 curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Directions for Kadhi:
- In a container, add the chickpea flour and the yogurt ( Preferably sour) to give tanginess. Properly whisk the mixture so that no lumps are left. Water can also be added if the mixture looks thick. Leave it aside for 10 minutes.
- In a pan add ghee or oil and let it heat.
- In the ghee, add cumin,mustard and fenugreek seeds and let it splutter .
- Now, add the garlic pods and fry it for a minute.
- Add chopped onions to the pan and fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Now, add potatoes on top of it. This step is optional and can be replaced with any other vegetable like – Bottle Guard, Spinach, Carrot, Green Peas etc…
- Add salt and turmeric and fry until the vegetables and onions are 70-80% cooked.
- Now, add the chickpea and yogurt to this mixture and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 glasses of water to this mixture and cook it on simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Now, add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, Dry mango powder and garam masala powder to the mixture. Red chilli can also be substituted with Green chilli.
- Now cook it on a medium flame. It should be cooked until we get 7-8 complete boils. Usually takes about 25- 30 minutes.
- Keep adding water if you see the kadhi is getting thicker while cooking. Also, make sure to keep stirring the mixture else the yogurt will get lumpy and curdled.
- Check the salt content and add if nedded.
- Kadhi is now ready to be served.
Directions for Pakoda:
- In a container, add chickpea flour, chopped onions, green chillies and yougurt.
- Add little salt, coriander powder to the same .
- Properly mix the batter and make accordingly add water as required. I used 1/4 cup of water.
- Now, drop the pakoda mixture to heated oil for deep frying. You can skip this step and simply put it in an air fryer for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Add the pakodas to the kadhi.
- Finally, temper the dish with ghee/asafoetida/curry leaves and garnish with coriander leaves.
This heavenly dish is now ready to be served. Goes perfect with White or Brown Rice.
Please do try this recipe at home and if you like my blog and content please do like and follow.Also, please leave in your comments and suggestions below.