Hello My dearest Friends,
So, how is the weather treating you ? Are you all prepared for the snowfalls in the coming weeks ? So am I..i usually love the first snowfall when the trees and the roads gets covered by light snow and it seems like a little fairyland.
So, who in this weather is craving for a good and delicious home made food and especially Rajma with hot served rice? I simply love this combination Rajma chawal.
Rajma is a popular vegetarian dish originating from the Indian subcontinent consisting of red kidney beans in a thick gravy with many whole spices and, is usually served with rice/naan or roti. Kidney beans are an excellent plant-based source of protein. They’re also rich in various minerals, vitamins, fibers, antioxidants, and other unique plant compounds. Therefore, these beans may aid weight loss, promote colon health, and moderate blood sugar levels . It is a very good protein rich curry if you are counting your calories.
So here goes the tasty yet simple recipe of Rajma.
Note : You can boil the Rajma separately and then make the mix it with cooked onions and tomatoes. My way is little different, I usually prefer boiling and cooking together in a pressure cooker. This saves time and trust me it enhances the flavor as well.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes; Cooking Time : 20 minutes; Calories : 120 calories/serving.
- Soaked Rajma – 1 cup
- Chopped onions -2
- Chopped tomatoes -2
- Green chilies – 5 to 6
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Black Pepper – 5 to 6
- Bay Leaves – 2 to 3
- Chopped ginger – 2 to 3 pods
- Salt – As per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli Powder -1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tablespoon
- Rajma Masala – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Soak the Red Kidney beans overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add cumin seeds until it starts to splutter.
- Now, add bay leaves and black pepper and heat for 30 seconds.
- Now, add the garlic pods and fry for another minute.
- Add the chopped onions with little salt and turmeric powder and cook it for 5 minutes.
- You will notice that the onions will become little brown. At this moment tomatoes and green chilies can be added.
- Now, after 2 minutes add all the dry spices like red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder , Garam Masala Powder and Rajma Masala and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- After few minutes, the tomatoes and onions becomes soft and mushy.
- At this moment, add the soaked Rajma to the mixture and mix it evenly.
- Cover the lid and allow all the spices to soak the Rajma.
- Once the Rajma gets soaked with spices, add water to it. The water should be double the quantity of the Rajma.
- Now, close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it for 8-10 whistles on a medium flame.
- Now, let the pressure evaporate and Rajma is ready 🙂
You can smell the aroma of the Rajma as soon as you open the lid 🙂
I am posting a picture below of the same which i did cook this week. Please do try this recipe at home and if you like my content, please like, share and comment.