How many of you love to have breakfast? I am sure most of you would as it is considered the most important meal of the day. I too love eating breakfast, if I take an early dinner the previous day ..:D Nevertheless, in my blog I would be sharing a lot more breakfast recipes. However, today I would just start with a simple Indian breakfast called Poha.
Flattened rice, commonly known Poha in Hindi, is rice which is flattened into flat, light, dry flakes originating from the flattened rice, commonly known Poha in Hindi, is rice which is flattened into flat, light, dry flakes originating from the Indian subcontinent.
Different states of India have their distinct style of cooking and eating the dish. In uttar Pradesh, it is cooked with lots of onion and chillies, In Jharkhand, they add boiled potatoes to it, In Madhya Pradesh, they combine it with a dessert called Jalebi and in Rajsathan they consume it with Yogurt. It goes on and on and on ..
Poha is very low in calories. It has about 76.9% of carbohydrates and 23% fat, which makes it one of the most ideal choices for weight loss. Poja is a wholesome meal. It is a good source of carbohydrates, packed with iron, rich in fibre, a good source of antioxidants and essential vitamins and is gluten free.
Now, here comes the very simple recipe of the dish:
Preparation Time : 10 minutes ; Cooking Time : 20 minutes; Calories : 250 calories/servings
- Oil – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- Chopped onions – 1 and half large
- Chopped garlic – 2 to 3 pods.
- Chopped potatoes – 1
- Green Peas – 1 bowl
- Peanuts – 1/2 bowl
- Chopped Carrots – 1 bowl
- Chopped bell peppers – 1 large
- Poha – 1/2 kg
- Salt – as needed
- Turmeric Powder -1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon – 4 to 5 drops
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Firstly take the poha in a container and wash it with luke warm water. Drain out all the water completely, so that the poha doesn’t get sticky.
- In another pan add oil and allow it to heat. Once the oil gets heated up, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- Now, add chopped onions,chopped garlic and peanuts and fry to 2 minutes.
- Add, salt and turmeric powder and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Now, add all the chopped veggies – like potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, green peas..etc. You can add and subtract the veggies of your choice. You can even add 1/2 tomatoes to it to make it more tangy.
- Now cover the lid of the pan and allow the veggies to cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add all the dry spices like Red Chiili and coriander powder. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Once the spices gets mixed properly to the veggies, and the veggies gets nicely cooked, add in the poha.
- Mix it properly. Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Poha is now ready to be eaten.
This dish is absolutely healthy for breakfast and keeps you filling for couple of hours.
Please do try this at home and let me know if you like it 🙂