Merry Christmas to everyone !!! Hope your Christmas preparations are all done and you are ready for the fun tomorrow. Have you also bought presents for your friends and relatives as a secret Santa. I personally love this occasion, as it brings everyone together.
I remember we used to celebrate Secret Santa at office premises back in India. Secret Santa is a Western Christmas tradition in which members of a group or community are randomly assigned a person to whom they give a gift. The identity of the gift giver is to remain a secret and should not be revealed. We also used to decorate our bay areas with trees and ornaments to grab the best team award ..haha..How can I also forget the delicious plum cake which had a lots of flavour and love embedded to it.
I will soon share the recipe of a Christmas Cake ( which I will make it on over the eve).But, for today I will go with an Indian delicacy called Baigan Bharwa Masala a.k.a Roasted Eggplant Masala. This is a simple and easy to make recipe . Eggplant has many health benefits. It helps in reducing the blood sugar level and also helps controlling weight loss. It has many nutrients which might help in controlling the cholesterol and cancer causing diseases.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes, Cooking Time : 20 minutes, Calories : 150 calories/serving
- Oil – 5 to 6 tablespoons
- Small eggplants – 9 -10
- Onions – 2 large
- Tomatoes -2 large
- Salt – As needed
- Green chillies – 3 to 4
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chiili Powder – 1tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Dry Mango Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – To garnish.
- First grind the onions and tomatoes separately in a mixer grinder to make it a smooth paste.
- Once the onions and tomatoes are grinded, transfer it to a bowl and add in all the dry spices like salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, Garam Masala Powder and dry mango powder. Once the spices are mixed to the onions and tomatoes, the colour should change to light red mix.
- Now, cut in all the eggplants from the top to make 2 cross cuts and apply little oil to the eggplant.
- Now, in a pan add oil and heat it for sometime.
- While the oil is getting heated, transfer in the spice mix into the eggplant so that it gets properly coated with the spice mix.
- Now, start roasting/ shallow frying the eggplants filled with spices to the oil. There are some spice mix which was little extra and hence it was coated to the top of the eggplant.
- Cook it for 10 minutes, and cover the lid of the pan.
- Open the pan after 10-12 minutes, and flip the sides of the eggplants.
- Now, close the lid of the pan and cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- You will see the change in the color to dark brown. The eggplant also contracts and gets evenly cooked and mixed with spices.
- Add little chat masala and garnish it with coriander leaves.
The dish is now ready to be served. It goes perfect with roti or parantha. I did try to make it this week and it really turned out well. Please do try this at home and let me know if it turns out well. Also, please if you like the content of my blog, please like and follow me on wordpress.