How are you all doing ? Hope you liked my last recipe of cheese corn balls. Please try it out if havent done so and let me know in the comments section below.
I was scrolling through my blog and discovered that I do not have much of a breakfast recipe, So here is a quick thought and quick dish straight from my kitchen ..”Vermicelli Upma” a.k.a “Semiya Upma”.
It is an ideal breakfast call out if you are watching your calories and trying to loose weight. Can be perfectly cooked in very little oil/ghee. It is mainly made up of wheat flour or semolina and is high in fiber content as well. This is one of my personal favourite.
Today I am going to post the Indian version of this dish, however Vermicelli is widely used in Thailand and Vietnam as part of their fresh Salad recipe which has a tangy vinegar taste and is tossed with grilled veggies/fish or chicken.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes, Cooking Time : 15 minutes, Calories : 164 Calories/serving
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Vermicelli – 300 gms
- Onions – 1 large finely chopped
- Carrots – 1 sliced
- Peanuts – 1/4 bowl
- Green peas – 1/4 bowl
- Mustard seeds – 1 small teaspoon
- Salt – As per taste
- Turmeric Power – 1 small teaspoon
- Green Chilies – 4 to 5
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – 4 to 5
- Lemon juice – 1/2 cut
- In a boiling Pan add water and put in the vermicelli until it is fully submerged to it. Add little salt and 1 drop oil and allow it to boil, until they get soft and cooked. Make sure you add oil while boiling, so that they dont stick together. It takes about 5 minutes to boil the same.
- In another cooking pan, add oil and mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Now, add the curry leaves and peanuts and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix it well with the oil.
- Now, add in all the veggies – Onions, Carrots,Green Peas. Add the salt and green chillies and cover the lid of the pan.
- Once the veggies gets tender, add in the coriander powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now, add the already boiled vermicelli to this mixture and mix it evenly.
- Lastly add the lemon juice and turn off the heat.
Vermicelli Upma is now ready to be consumed. You can literally add any vegetable of your choice – Broccoli, cauliflower, Green pepper etc..Throw in anything of your choice.
Please do try this at home and let me know how it turns out to be.