I would ask my routine question again today. How is your quarantine period going ? Please do keep yourself safe, sound and sanitized and away from any crowd. Together we can make this happen by following the norms, following it diligently and by not creating any mess for others.
Did you try any new dishes this weekend ? Frankly speaking working from home is a little frustrating, as you need to jump into never ending calls and meetings which takes most of your time and at the end of the shift, you feel exhausted and worn out.
So, I am very happy sharing this blog. You know why, because I made this French dessert- Choux Pastry. I was myself not able to believe my eyes that the dessert came out so well, fluffy and airy in its first attempt. I was absolutely satisfied and contented after making this dessert. There were couple of lessons learnt as well, which I am going to share in this blog today.
One of the greatest benefits of choux dough is that it can be piped and otherwise shaped into a number of different forms before baking, and holds its shape well after the process is complete. The four ingredients in a classic choux dough are butter, flour, water and eggs, with a touch of salt sometimes also included. We do not need the rising elements like – Baking Powder or a baking soda as egg enough makes it light,airy and fluffy.
So, here comes the recipe .
Preparation Time : 15 minutes, Cooking Time : 35 minutes, Calories : 375 calories/serving.
For Choux Pastry : –
- Milk – 225 Ml
- Butter – 115 Gms
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour – 142 Gms
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Eggs – 4
- Vanilla Extract – 1 large tablespoon
For the cream filling :-
- Whipping Cream – 35% ( 150 Ml)
- Sugar – 3 tablespoons
- Vanilla Essence/Extract – 1 teaspoon
For the Puffs/ Choux :-
- First we need to make sure that we are using the measured quantity as mentioned above.
- Turn on the gas and allow it to heat on a medium flame.
- Add the butter/Milk/very little water/Sugar/Salt and bring it to boil.
- Once the milk boils and the butter melts completely, at this time take the pan off the heat and add complete all purpose flour.
- Put the pan back to the flame and stir the flour continuously so that it gets mixed with milk and turns into a soft dough ( I will paste the pictures below ).
- Now allow this dough to cool down a bit. Once cooled, start incorporating the eggs one by one.
- Using an egg beater, beat the eggs along with the batter. Make sure it comes into an tipping consistency. It should be beated for about 10-12 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 220 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Now, at this time add the vanilla extract. Adding this would prevent an eggy smell/taste from the pastry.
- Parallely, prepare an oven tray with parchment paper or silipat.
- Fill in the mixture in a piping bag and pipe it on the parchment paper into 1 1/2 inches wide and 1- inch high round. You should have about 18-20 puffs.
- With a wet finger, lightly press down the swirl of each puff so that it doesn’t break while baking.
- Bake the puffs/Choux Pastry for 220 deegree celsius for 10 minutes.
- Now, without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 190 degree celsius for about 20-22 minutes.
- Puffs are now ready. Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool for a bit.
For the cream filling : –
- In another pan, add the whipping cream , sugar and vanilla extract.
- Now beat it on a high to medium speed for about 15-18 minutes.
- The Cream filling is ready.
- Transfer the filling into the piping bag.
- Gently cut the upper half of the puff and push in the cream filling inside and cover it back.
- Alternatively, you can also squeeze in the piping bag to the side of the puff to make a thorough filling.
The choux pastries are now ready to be eaten. Trust me my friends, they were so flaky and delicious, I am unable to get over it till now . Do try this easy recipe at home and let me know how it turns out 🙂
Please do like my blog and comment down below on wordpress.