Its Friday and we are done with this week with a positive anticipation that the current situation heals fast. I wish everyone the strength to go through this difficult time. Emphasizing everyone to keep yourself safe, secured and sanitized. Together, we can work out to resolve this successfully.
So, it was Friday today and so is a busy working day. As, we are all working from home, so nowadays worrying about lunch is also a task 😀 haha..Nevertheless, I usually make sure to keep my lunch light and healthy. At the same time, I am trying to ensure not to eat too less to keep my immunity intact. So, sometimes, while you are busy with meeting/calls/video conference, you cannot really spend more time in cooking, rather you can go for an easy option just like I did today ..It was a very quick and easy Rice Pulao a.k.a Tehri. It is a yellow rice dish in Awadhi Cuisine. Spices are added to plain cooked rice for flavor and colour. It is mainly consumed in States like Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
In one version of Tehri, potatoes are used as one of the main ingredient and that is my personal favorite and thats what I am going to share today. This recipe can also be loaded with various vegetables of your choice which makes it a super flavorful, healthy and a wholesome meal.
So, lets dig in!!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes ; Cooking Time : 15 minutes, Calories : 240 calories/serv
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – Handful
- Bay Leaves – 1 large
- Cinnamon Sticks – 1/w
- Black Pepper – 2 -3 pods
- Garlic – 3 to 4 pods
- Potatoes – 2 large cut in cubes
- Onion – 2 medium sized
- Tomatoes – 2 large
- Rice – 1 Cup
- Salt – As per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Biryani Powder / Garam Masala Powder Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Lemon Juice – to squeeze on top
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and allow it to heat for sometime.
- Once the oil is heated, add cumin seeds,bay leaves,cinnamon sticks, garlic and black pepper and saute for few seconds.
- Now, add onions and fry for a minute or two until it gets translucent.
- Add potatoes and tomatoes and mix it well with the onions.
- At this point, add the salt and turmeric and mix it properly. Cook it for 2 minutes.
- Now, we can add all the remaining spices – Red Chilli Powder ,Coriander Powder, Biryani Masala/Garam Masala Powder. Mix it evenly so that it gets evenly coated with the veggies.
- Wash the rice with water and throw it in the cooker. Mix it well along with the veggies and fry for 2 -3 minutes.
- Now, for 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of water and squeeze in some lemon juice.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and on a high flame cook it until 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure gets released, open the lid of the cooker and Tehri is now ready 🙂
- Garnish it with coriander leaves at the end.
As I said before, you can add as many veggies as you like – like carrot/peas/cauliflower or even roasted peanuts. This recipe can server for about 3 people.
Please do try this at home and let me know how it turns out. Please also like my recipes and comment down below if you like my contents.