Hope you all are keeping yourself safe and sound. Fall colors are pitching in and trees have started advancing and transforming its color. So, this weather calls for a bright and a colorful dish, isn’t? :D, Some Healthy and heart curry.
So, today I would be sharing the recipe of one of the eminent Indian dish which is approved, acknowledged and liked in almost all parts of the world and the taste has been completely acquired by even the non Indians. Yes, its butter chicken, the soulful food of all times.
The dish was developed in 1950s by the founders of the Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi, India.. The dish was made “by chance” by mixing leftover chicken in a tomato gravy, rich in butter and cream. If you are interested in knowing the history of butter chicken, go through this – Butter Chicken Story.
This is the first time, I tried this at home and it turned out pretty decent, So here on how to make Healthy Butter Chicken.
Lets Dig In!!
- Chicken Breasts – 400 gms
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Onions – 3
- Large Tomatoes – 4
- Cashew Nuts – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – As per taste
- Turmeric – 1/2 tablespoon
- Butter – 1 cup
- Low Fat Cream – 1 cup
- Minced Garlic – 4 to 5 pods.
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Chicken Masala/Tandoori Masala – 2 tablespoons
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kasoori Methi – 1/2 tablespoon
- Marinate the chicken with Chicken Masala/Tandoori Masala, oil and salt and keep it aside for 30 mins.
- In a pan, add butter and allow it to heat a little. Now, add the marinated chicken breasts to it and fry it until both the sides are golden brown and evenly cooked.
- Once the chicken gets cooked, transfer them to one plate.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and add diced onions,garlic and tomatoes. Cook it for 2 mins and then add cashew nuts and. Add little salt and turmeric at this point.
- Close the lid for 5 mins and allow the onions and tomatoes to get soft. Remember that we will not brown the onions, else the color changes.
- After 5 mins, open the lid add the Red Chilli Powder and the Garam Masala Powder and give it a nice mix.
- Close the lid and cook for another 5-7 minutes so that the rawness of the spices goes away.
- You can even add little water if you see the gravy sticking the bottom of the pan.
- Now, turn of the heat/flame and allow this mixture to cook down a bit.
- Once cooled, blend it nicely in a food blender or a grinder.
- Seive the blended mixture so that the any additional lumps or skin of the tomatoes gets discarded and you get a smooth and shiny textured gravy.
- Turn on the heat. Now, in a cooking pan, add little oil and add Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder and Garam Masala Powder. Now, transfer in the smooth gravy and cook for 2 mins.
- Add butter to this gravy. Also, add the cooked chicken to this gravy and give it a stir.
- Once the spices and the gravy gets incorporated inside the chicken for 10 minutes, turn off the heat.
- Add more butter and low fat cream. Top it up with crushed Kasoori Methi leaves.
Butter Chicken a.k.a Murg Makhni is now ready to be eaten 🙂 . Enjoy it with Butter Naan or Tandoori Roti.
Please do try this at home and let me know how it turns out to be. Also, did you try making the immunity booster Kadha at home ? If not, please refer to my previous post for full content : – Kadha.