Wishing you all a very happy Diwali and Bhai Dooj. May this Diwali brings you joy, hope, and success. Let the light guide you in a bright way. May the fireworks take away all our troubles and sorrows while the light guides you to happiness, joy and peace this wonderful Diwali.
Lord Ganesh and Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped on this occasion. Lakshmi symbolizes wealth and prosperity, and her blessings are invoked for a good year ahead.
Talking about Diwali would definitely pour a thought of a feast. Yes, along with joy and happiness, Diwali brings in the feast mode. People love cooking delicacies on this day which includes the savory and the sweet dishes. I have tried my hands on both during Diwali but this year chose to cook something healthy and hearty and what could be a preferable option than eating a Biryani loaded with Green and seasonal vegetables.
Everyone has their own technique of making Biryani and this one is mine 🙂
So, without much ado, lets start the recipe!!
Preparation Time : 30 minutes, Cooking Time : 50 minutes, Calories : 240/serving
- Sliced Onions – 8 -9 large
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Ghee – 2tablespoons
- Black pepper pods – 4 to 5
- Star Anise – 1
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 small
- Cauliflower Florets – 1/2 cup
- Green Beans – 1/2 cup
- Green Peas – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies – 4 sliced
- Potato – 4 diced
- Biryani Masala Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – As per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 and half tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Basmati Rice – 250 gms
To Garnish : –
- Mint leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Lemon juice
Directions : –
Cooking the Rice –
- In a pressure cook, add little oil and ghee and allow it to heat.
- Now, add the cinnamon sticks, black cardamom, black pepper pods and Star Anise and allow it to get heated for few seconds.
- Now, add the green chillies ,4 onions and potatoes and fry it. The onions should be fried on a low-medium heat until they turn golden brown.
- Add little coriander powder, red chilli powder to onions and fry evenly again.
- Now, add the Biryani Masala Powder and salt and cook it further. You will notice that the oil starts getting released from the sides.
- Throw in the washed Basmati Rice. Add doubled quantity of water as rice and close the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Cook it on a high flame for 1 -2 whistles and turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to get released from the cooker.
Cooking the vegetables –
- In a frying pan, add little oil and allow it to heat.
- Once heated add little turmeric powder and cook for 30 secs.
- Now, throw in all the vegetables – Cauliflower, Green peas and beans. You may add any vegetable of your choice like Carrots/Beetroot/Capsicum..
- Now, add salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder and stir for 2 minutes.
- Close the lid of the pan and cook them until they are 70% done.
- Now, open the lid add little whisked yogurt (unflavored) and cook it further until they are 90 % done.
- Turn off the flame.
Assembling the Biryani –
- In a wide pan, add little ghee and add one layer of Rice ( cooked in step 1).
- Now, add one layer of cooked vegetables ( cooked in step 2).
- Repeat the same for 4-5 layers.
- Garnish it with Mint leaves. Coriander leaves and lemon juice. You may also add saffron strings but thats completely optional.
- Now, tightly close the lid of the pan and cook it on a very slow flame for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat after 15 minutes.
Enjoy the biryani with Salan or Raita 🙂
If you like the content of my blog, please share it with your friends. Also, please follow me on WordPress and Instagram @aanchal6867