Hope you are enjoying this chilly season and snowy winters. As promised, very soon I am coming up with the food videos as well that would be hyperlinked with my posts and I am really excited to share it with everyone. Stay tuned for more updates 🙂
Now, the recipe I am sharing today is truly close to my heart as this one’s is my father’s favorite too and we used to order it almost every time we ate outside. Yes, this one’s is – Veg Jalfrezi originated in Bengal and then eventually got popular throughout the Indian subcontinent. It consists of ingredients such as meat, fish, paneer or vegetables, stir-fried and served in a thick spicy sauce that includes green chilli peppers. Common further ingredients include bell peppers, onions and tomatoes. Jalfrezi is usually prepared by stir-frying ingredients, a technique introduced to the region by chinese cuisine.
According to me, the two distinguishing ingredients for this recipe that enhances the flavor are – Nutmeg Powder and Tomato ketchup.
So, without much ado, lets get started with this healthy and hearty curry : –
Preparation Time : 15 minutes; Cooking Time : 40 mins ; Calories : 160-170/serving
Ingredients : –
- Oil – 30 ml
- Chopped Onions – 1 large
- Chopped Tomato – 1 medium sized
- Chopped green chillies – 2 -3
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/8 tablespoon
- Sliced potato – 1 large
- Sliced Bell peppers – 1 large
- Sliced carrots – 1 large
- Paneer cubes – 150 gms
- Green Peas – 80 gms
- Salt – As per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tablespoon
- Tomato Ketchup – 2 and 1/2 tablespoons
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Vinegar – 1/2 tablespoon
Directions : –
- In a pan, add little oil and allow it to heat for sometime.
- Add in the sliced potatoes/bell peppers/green beans ( optional)/ green peas and carrots. Add little salt and stir fry the veggies on a medium flame until they are cooked. You can cover the lid of the pan for 5-7 mins so that the veggies are properly cooked.
- While the veggies are getting cooked, in another pan add little oil. Once heated add the ginger garlic paste.
- Once the rawness of the ginger-garlic paste goes away, add the chopped onions and green chillies and fry it for 2 mins until the onions gets translucent.
- Now is the time to add the spices- salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and nutmeg powder. Cook the spices additionally for 2-3 mins.
- Now, add the tomatoes and mix it well. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. This can take upto 5-7 minutes.
- To the onion and tomato base gravy, add in the stir-fried veggies (cooked in step -2). Add paneer cubes and cover the lid of the pan and cook it for 4-5 mins until the paneer softens.
- At this point, add the vinegar and tomato ketchup. Mix again and turn off the heat.
You can top it up with coriander leaves or eat it as it is !! Enjoy it with hot phulkas/Tandoori roti or Naan.
Please do try this at home and let me know how it goes. Also, if you like the content of my blog, please follow me on WordPress and Instagram @aanchal6867